Book lice adult.

Book lice adult

Are tiny brown, yellow or cream-colored insects infesting areas of your home that include drains and faucets? If you spot these creatures lurking in the damp, you are most likely experiencing a booklice infestation.

Though their name may suggest otherwise, these pests do not attack books. Nor are they lice. Booklice or psocids are tiny, wingless insects resembling lice that feed on mildew and mold within homes. They thrive in areas of your home that are high in moisture level for instance kitchens, bathrooms, and basements since their food source is most likely to grow in these areas. They will even feed on microscopic fungi or mold that you cannot see with your naked eye.

Though these pests do not bite, damage furniture or transmit diseases, they can be very annoying and difficult to control if infestation occurs. They also reproduce rapidly, making infestation a high possibility once they choose to make residence within your home. Thankfully, there are simple solutions you can use to get rid of these pests. It usually starts with controlling humidity in the home since these pests only reside within damp environments. Below are five ways to reduce humidity and get rid of booklice infestation for good but first, find out which areas of your home are infested!

1. Check High Humidity Areas for Signs of Booklice

There are some places in your home that booklice will love. For instance, they will reside beneath wallpaper, in basements, beneath leaking pipes in your bathroom or kitchen.  Check these areas to verify where the source of the infestation is. Once you’ve spotted all the areas in your home where booklice reside, you can begin the eradication process. This will lead to the best results and ensure that these pests do not return.

2. Improve Ventilation

Cy-Kick Aerosol kills booklice on the spot.

Cy-Kick Aerosol kills booklice on the spot. Check price on Amazon

Poor ventilation can be one of the main reasons your home attracts psocids. To get rid of these pests, simply improve ventilation. Open doors and windows to give moisture a chance to escape. This will also reduce the chances of fungi or mold growing within your home as they do not thrive in areas that where good ventilation is present.

3. Discard Food Containing Mold

Booklice will find mold wherever it happens to be. That includes your cereal! To reduce the likelihood of these insects infesting your home, check your pantry and other areas where food is stored for signs of mold. Where moldy food is present, remove it at once! Put extra attention on foods such as cereal. Also, ensure that the remaining food is kept dry to prevent further infestation.

4. Fix Leaking Water Pipes

Leaks are an issue in home maintenance that should be prevented at all costs as they result in water waste as well as increase the likelihood of bug invasion. But when a leak does take place, be sure to fix it as soon as possible.  Inspect pipes and faucets regularly for signs of leakage then fix the pipes to get rid of booklice.

5. Dry Out Furniture or Rugs

Wet furniture items or rugs attract booklice. To get rid of them put these items out in the sun to dry. When the moisture level is reduced, mold or mildew will also die leaving the booklice without a food source.

6. Use a Dehumidifier

Dehumidifiers are another great way to control and reduce humidity levels in your home! Get rid of

booklice for good by using a dehumidifier in places that are likely to have the highest humidity such as your basement.

Your home does not need to be a booklice habitat. Reduce moisture and humidity to get rid of these pests for good! Also, consider getting help from a professional pest control company if booklice infestation in your home is more than you can handle.

Note: Since booklice inflict little damage on the home, and are mere annoyances, insecticides are seldom used. However, if you have to use insecticides, follow the label carefully to ensure safety. Especially when using insecticides with a long residual period, exercise caution when used in food prep areas. Insecticides with active ingredients lambda-cyhalothrin, cyfluthrin, and pyrethrins are very effective against booklice. When using the aforementioned insecticides, ensure they’re labeled for indoors use.

Did You Know

• Some species of booklice resembles lice. However, booklice and their relatives aren’t ‘true’ lice.
  • Popular belief holds that booklice feed on books, paper, and glue. However, that’s erroneous information. Booklice only feed on mold and other types of fungi. These fungi are often found in books.
  • An effective method used to control booklice is to eliminate their food sources – mold and fungi. To discourage the growth of mold within the home, reduce the level of moisture present and increase the flow of air.

26 Comments

1. Keren 12:06 PM 6 January 2017

Hi, I was looking the solution of infestation in my kitchen of booklice and I came across this one. This is really wonderful, thanks for sharing information.
    My problem probably started a little while before it was discovered. I assume they were hiding in a drawer but because it is dark and tough to find out the tiny insects on it. I cleaned out the 4 kitchen drawers and also threw taken out the groceries and have washed all the surfaces and cannot figure out where they were hiding. I wanted to use chemical but We have cats and also would prefer not to smell chemicals in my kitchen area.
    What do you suggest?

• Samantha Williams 7:13 AM 7 January 2017

I see…
      Try ventilating your kitchen. To add, try searching for mold. Booklice love that sort of stuff.

2. Claire 1:11 PM 6 January 2017

I also experienced the trouble with booklice recently and keep finding the booklice appearing in my house. They are mainly on ceilings of my MBR and my other bedroom. It feels really annoying when you see unwanted pests like Termites or Booklice is damaging your precious lovable things.
    Please Share some tips to get rid of them fast
    Can I use chemicals? And How safe are they?

• Samantha Williams 7:12 AM 7 January 2017

Hi,

If you have a termite issue, it would be shrewd to get an affordable pest control professional. Dealing with a termite infestation is very tricky and could cause you a house. In cases where homeowners try to deal with it on their own, there are reoccurrences of the problem. A pest control professional will have the ideal tools ready to deal with your predicament.

Regarding your booklice issue, a simple bug spray could do the trick, but before resorting to using chemicals, why not try to reduce the level of moisture within your home? A typical case in point: My bathroom was once infested with booklouse because my faucet was leaking. To get rid of the problem, I had to take care of my faucet issue since they were mainly there for the moisture. Try fixing the underlined issue and they will leave. All the best.

3. Gavin 1:25 PM 6 January 2017

Thank you First of all. I show this article to my wife and she tried some of the tips. Also, We installed the dehumidifier and succeed.
    Keep Posting Good Tips. Thanks Again

• Samantha Williams 7:07 AM 7 January 2017

Hi Gavin,

We are here to serve you. Happy to know the tips we suggested worked. Please do visit again if you have any other pest control issues. To add, if you’re not able to find what you’re looking for, please send us a quick message. All the best.

• Kozuka 4:32 AM 16 August 2017

Gavin, how infected your place was, how long it took to get rid of booklice and what exactly did you do? It’s been over a year since I stated fighting book lice at home. They win so far.

4. Dyan 11:22 AM 19 June 2017

I think I have booklice in my tub that we never use. There are no leaks. What do you suggest? That is the only place I see them in my master bathroom. It is a whirlpool tub but a never use it!

• Samantha Williams 11:59 AM 20 June 2017

Hi,

Sorry about your infestation. You can buy household insecticides. You could try those labeled with pyrethrins, rotenone, allethrin, chlorpyrifos or propoxur for crawling insects or booklice. You can pick those up at your local Walmart store (or any you usually get your supplies from) or you can buy the recommended product through our affiliate link. The product recommended has the active ingredient pyrethrin. When you use our affiliate link, we do receive a small commission from the item bought. Purchases made through our link helps to maintain and keep Online Pest Control operational. Thank you.

5. Ger ruane 3:37 AM 11 August 2017

Hi I have small white insects crawling around skirting boards in the bedroom. What could they be. No dampness in room. Would see a few every day for the last week

• Samantha Williams 5:58 AM 14 August 2017

Is it possible for you to snap a photo of the insect?

• Ger ruane 10:48 AM 14 August 2017

Twhe r to small can’t see them in photo

6. Ger ruane 10:53 AM 14 August 2017

The r to small to see in photo

• Samantha Williams 11:06 AM 14 August 2017

Any description of the insect is helpful. What does it look like?

• Ger ruane 12:19 PM 14 August 2017

Very small white insects and some brown

• Samantha Williams 12:28 PM 14 August 2017

Ok. Do they partially resemble lice/louse? Do they fly as well, or only crawl?

• Ger ruane 12:29 PM 14 August 2017

The crawling. Don’t fly.

• Samantha Williams 12:32 PM 14 August 2017

Ah, I see. It might be book lice. Some do appear white and in some cases brown. Let me know if what’s in the image describes what you’re seeing in your home. Thanks. https://i2.wp.com/www.onlinepestcontrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/BOOKLICE.jpg?resize=259%2C194

• Ger ruane 12:33 PM 14 August 2017

Ta they look like that very small

• Samantha Williams 12:35 PM 14 August 2017

Yes, they are very small. The picture I sent would represent their size when magnified or seen under something such as a microscope.

• Ger ruane 12:49 PM 14 August 2017

How can I get rid of them

• Samantha Williams 1:10 PM 14 August 2017

We have a few suggestions listed in the article. You can have a look at them

• Samantha Williams 12:33 PM 14 August 2017

Remember too that booklice feed on mold and fungi and aren’t only drawn to moisture and humidity within the home.

• Ger ruane 12:34 PM 14 August 2017

No mold in house

7. Kozuka 4:26 AM 16 August 2017

Hi, I am having a serious problem. We live in apartment building and last summer I have notice booklice on our balcony. I bet they had been there for a long while before I discovered them for they were just everywhere. I got rid of the junk that we kept there and sprayed the balcony with pyrethrins. I started checking my apartment and I discovered a number of booklice at home too as well as on the other balcony that faces another side of building! I inspected stuff at home many times and finally got rid of them, they were mostly in boxes with shoes and books. I was hoping that booklice that survived poisoning on balconies would freeze to death in winter. We live in Moscow and winter temperature goes down way bellow freezing. But obviously the eggs survived freezing OK for this summer booklice is on my balcony again! The worst thing is that “defense lines” (poison gel around balcony door and windows in that room) does not prevent all of them from sneaking into our home! They must enter through air conditioning system unit that is located on that balcony and there is just not way to seal air pipes and electrical cords hermetically!
    I started expecting things at home and yes, I found several lice in books and windowsill in the room where we keep clothing and some books.
    We have no leaks, our place is dry, we always have windows wide open and humidity at home is about 40% (20-25% in winter when the heat is on)/ And yet, they seem to feel comfortable at our home for last summer like I said, I found and killed close to 60-70 spices and found about the same number of dead lice. My husband is against of using poison for he thinks “it is harmful for our health” and I also have asthma. But how in the world can I get rid of them on the balcony??? This is where they breed and where they come from to our apartment. Every time I see them, I feel panic attack even though I know they are harmful. I am depressed and desperate, I was hoping my misery of finding and fighting booklice was over last fall but it was not. Our balcony is dry and sunny, there no damp spots there, no leaks, no mold (that can be seen). Please, help me.

• Samantha Williams 6:19 AM 16 August 2017

Wow!

I’ve never heard of a booklice infestation that is that bad.

I’m sorry about your dilemma. Seems like you’ve been trying everything in the book. You may need to inspect more closely for mold or fungi.

But, the preventative measures won’t help at this moment. You have to think about an all out attack to reclaim the comforts of your balcony before they start streaming into your house again.

Since it’s mostly on. your balcony, my advice is to use the chemicals there. I know you mentioned you have asthma, so have your husband do the application and stay as far away from the area as possible.

Your husband might have to treat the area for about a week since a one off application won’t do. You can also try applying diatomaceous earth near cracks and crevices that they’ll likely go through.

Whatever products you opt to use, ensure to read the labeling and apply as instructed to protect yourself and your family. Chemicals are harsh, but sometimes we get desperate and have to resort to them.

I hope you do find some relief.